Saturday, November 21, 2009

FINALLY: Electricity Comes to Our Part of Town

Strange things are happening out front of our house!
Well, it involves our neighbors, as well.


When I drove home one day last week, our garage door wouldn't open for me. It seems that electricity is needed to operate the garage door. Luckily, I was able to get in without a key to any door: we have a keyless entry lock on one of the patio doors.
I had noticed "utility workers" down the street and went down to where they were working to ask if my power outage had anything to do with their presence. Of course, the answer was "yes" and that my power would be restored in just a few minutes. No problem--I really didn't WANT to do any laundry right then anyway.
So when I was pulling out of the driveway on Wednesday and had to delicately maneuver around utility workers, I stopped and asked what was going on. Apparently, all the power outages that we have (and there have been MANY) on our block are due to the fact that the "lines" are over 35 years old and need to be replaced.
Our front yard has some interesting little flags flying--some on wooden stakes and others on tiny metal poles. They are to alert the workers of other existing lines, such as gas, sewer, phone, etc. They are quite colorful!


More color is added out front in the form of a unique type of graffiti:




So I was told that these guys were nearly finished with their portion of the job and that the rest will be finished next week by our electric company. We shall see...


Maybe we didn't need to spend that $800 last July on the TWO "Whole House" in-line power surge protectors we had installed!!!

1 comment:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds like my neighborhood! :(
Have a happy Thanksgiving.