Sunday, June 21, 2009

ANOTHER THRIFTY TREASURE!!! 1959 LADIE'S HOME JOURNAL

Thanks to Rhoda over at Southern Hospitality and her "Thrifty Treasures" party, I now have a whole new outlook when attending a garage/estate sale. I not only look for things that I can use or recycle, but I also look for items that would make a great "blog post". I hope everyone agrees that this TREASURE meets that criteria. For your pleasure may I offer these pictures of a September 1959 issue of Ladie's Home Journal. I was fortunate to find this among a bunch of other magazines that were priced right: 75¢ each!!!

FRONT COVER:



BACK COVER:




I just love all the ads within these older issues.
Did you, your mom, or grandmother ever have any of these sets? Can you see the prices in 1959? $4.95 for the set of 4 bowls! WOW!




Here's some of the "FASHION SHOW" pages. Lots of fur accents--and not faux! Check out the jewelry--would be so stylish even today!





This treasure is being added to my collection of vintage magazines. I just love looking through them from time to time. If you want to see posts about some of my others, please let me know--I love to share the nostalgia!

17 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

I enjoyed looking at the pictures from your magazine. I have a set of those Pyrex bowls that were my grandmother's. Mine are the ones with the white background. I love the pattern on them. I would love to have some of the suits pictured on the pages of the magazine - so elegant.

Blue Creek Home said...

I love vintage magazines. It seems like women then were so sophisticated, don't you think?

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

OOOOO!!! Love it. I used Breck shampoo as a girl. We all did.

Embellished Bayou said...

That is such a great find! You should frame it!

The Tattered Cottage said...

Thanks for sharing.....loved the fashion pics, women back then seemed to be so sophisticated :)
Toni

Unknown said...

Great magzine! Love the fashions of the 50's! Everything was so elegant and festive.

Love those pyrex bowls.

Thanks for sharing!

Tina

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I love those pics in the magazine! The women's clothing was so much more feminine then. That aqua blue color was everywhere - I remember that we had an Oldsmobile with white about the side trim and aqua below the side trim! What a fun find - really a sort of history magazine! Linda

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, those old magazines are priceless! I love to look back in time to see what was popular back in the day. Hang on to that one!

I remember those Pyrex bowls too.

Sue said...

I LOVE vintage mags!!! great purchase price, too. Sue :-)

Debbi Andersen said...

Great Find!! How fun to look through it!

We were house hunting last summer and found an actual Sears and Roebuck catalog HOUSE! It is soo cute! unfortunately the amount of property it sits on put it out of our price range lol but the flyer had the old pic from the catalog it was great!

Thanks for sharing!

Jamie said...

Love your find...thanks for sharing!

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Isn't it fun looking through old magazines

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Fabulous find! And thanks for sharing. I got a kick at looking at the old ads & fashions. And I have a couple of those old pyrex bowls.

Susie Q said...

Those are wonderful. And I'll take real fur over faux ANY time and every time :D

Maggie Elizabeth said...

Thanks for finding me! I have been looking at your blog and loving it! Glad you found me!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Neat pictures!! Some of those would be great framed, I think. :) I love our SA, and like you said, it's hard to find a parking spot these days. :) Thanks for visiting my blog!

Sherry Smart said...

I love this magazine! It was from the month and year that I was born! How funny!